The Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist performs test procedures of moderate/high complexity within the clinical laboratory and is expected to demonstrate competency in all assays/instruments within the section. Additional responsibilities include instrument troubleshooting and maintenance, assay validations, and staff training and development.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Determines the acceptability of specimens for testing according to established laboratory criteria.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory technical procedures according to laboratory standard operating procedures, ensuring that applicable quality control requirements are met.
- Demonstrates the ability to make technical decisions regarding testing and resolve technical issues as they occur.
- Maintains a professional level of knowledge to properly analyze test results and address abnormal or atypical findings.
- Performs and documents quality control to ensure the accuracy of clinical data and instrument functionality. Takes appropriate action to resolve QC failures.
- Performs and documents routine instrument maintenance and participates in troubleshooting and corrective action as needed.
- Assists the departmental supervisor in ensuring effective utilization of staff and timely, high-quality test results.
- Routinely navigates and manages workflows via Laboratory Information System (LIS).
- Prepares, tests, and evaluates new reagents and controls. Maintains appropriate documentation related to these activities.
- Assists with new instrument/methodologies validations and other initiatives in support of new business growth opportunities.
- Assists in the development of SOPs and competency training modules for new and existing instrumentation/methodologies.
- Assists the departmental supervisor in staff training and development.
- Serves as subject matter expert for testing within the department, responding to questions from other Lifescan personnel, as needed.
- Communicates critical results as necessary to external medical professionals following HIPAA guidelines.
- Functions as a departmental leader in the supervisor’s absence.
- Maintains a clean, safe, functional work environment. Serves as a role model to others.
- Adheres to all CLIA, HIPAA, and OSHA requirements; participates in government or regulatory agency inspections, if needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
Degree level/Area: Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, or Medical Technology program from an accredited institution is required.
Certificates/Licenses: MLS/MT (ASCP), AMT, or other national accreditation required.
Acceptable minimum equivalent in the place of degree: None.
Experience: Minimum 3 years in a high-complexity laboratory. Must be able to demonstrate competency in all assays within the designated department.
Leadership: Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, and support colleagues and coworkers, with highly developed analytical, interpersonal, collaborative, and positive communication skills.
Additionally, the position requires the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and understand laboratory guidelines, regulations, procedures, and policies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to maintain records and complete detailed reports as required.
- Ability to professionally and positively interact with peers, clients, and the public.
- Must be able to critically think, troubleshoot issues, and implement necessary changes.
- Ability to work autonomously and efficiently in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment.